Audio/video stream recording forums

Attention Visitor:
You may have to register or log in before you can post:
  • Click the register link to sign up.
  • Registered members please fill in the form below and click the "Log in" button.
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Audio/video stream recording forums > Other discussions > eBooks readers and book shops
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM

killaken2000 is on a distinguished road

coursesmart

Hello,

This is my first post. I have been trying to figure out how to download / convert coursesmart ebooks to pdf or jpg files.

I've succeeded but the process is rather convoluted. I think my next project is to create a firefox extension that performs the same tasks.

Anyway if anyone would like to help me with this please send me a PM.

Or if you want to know my current way of doing it then reply to this post. You can also reply to this post if you have any questions.

thanks,
killaken2000
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM

nature20 is on a distinguished road

Re: coursesmart

there are two version of coursesmart textbooks - online and offline. Due to privacy and piracy, this platform dont offer pdf version but nearly good version of ebook which is user friendly and people can read easily on pc,mobile,tablet without any extra software....

At online version, you can download one by one page or print to pdf for saving ebook. At offline version, i think there is restriction, so u can print to pdf but takes some time... Online version is in flash and html format & book page is divided in 3-4 parts of flash or image which constantly change...

It uses Ajax technology.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 PM

killaken2000 is on a distinguished road

You are correct.

However here is what i did to download the online book to pdf.

I used the Save Image firefox extension to save all of the *.jpg images to a separate folder based on the hours minutes and seconds of the current time.

Next i set the extensions keypress to a Ctrl + y

Then i wrote a vc++ program to press Ctrl + y then right arrow stepping through that sequence for each page

Now you are left with a directory full of other directories that are full of jpgs

Then i used the console program imagemagick to convert all of the jpgs in sequence to one large image that is a full page. Then convert those full page jpgs to pdf.

next i used another console application but i forgot the name. I used this program to combine the pdfs to one large pdf.

so now i have a fully converted coursesmart book.

The reason for my post is that i would not only like to share this info but also collaborate one combining these steps into one program or plugin.

any cheers
-killaken
Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 AM

method is time taking but can be worked to make it easier and also possible to make extension for coursesmart with great features...

I think pdf file size will be much larger due to images but u can use ocr tool to convert in searchable pdf and help u to reduce size of file. There are many threads and videos for it.... also one cant remove coursesmart logo as well but it is not much issue as you are not doing any illegal things like sharing or piracy on net....

main purpose of this etextbook is to get at low price and read at convenience without any problem if internet access is not available....

sent pm.

Last edited by nature20 : 09-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 AM

finally... found easy method to save/rip in pdf with discount codes.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM

fawkes is on a distinguished road

Since I am in need of a book only available on coursesmart I hope someone may share how to get a book out of coursesmart?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 AM

desimd is on a distinguished road

Hi, could you please share how to extract the books with us?

edit: I managed to figure it out using firefox + save jpegs + python + imagemagick!

Last edited by desimd : 01-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 AM

Jing is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Can you that for my books. I really don't know anything about following instructions. How to contact you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaken2000 View Post
You are correct.

However here is what i did to download the online book to pdf.

I used the Save Image firefox extension to save all of the *.jpg images to a separate folder based on the hours minutes and seconds of the current time.

Next i set the extensions keypress to a Ctrl + y

Then i wrote a vc++ program to press Ctrl + y then right arrow stepping through that sequence for each page

Now you are left with a directory full of other directories that are full of jpgs

Then i used the console program imagemagick to convert all of the jpgs in sequence to one large image that is a full page. Then convert those full page jpgs to pdf.

next i used another console application but i forgot the name. I used this program to combine the pdfs to one large pdf.

so now i have a fully converted coursesmart book.

The reason for my post is that i would not only like to share this info but also collaborate one combining these steps into one program or plugin.

any cheers
-killaken
Reply Post New Thread
Tags: ,