Audio/video stream recording forums (http://stream-recorder.com/forum/index.php)
-   eBooks readers and book shops (http://stream-recorder.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -  

coursesmart

(http://stream-recorder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13819)

killaken2000 09-21-2012 12:02 PM

coursesmart

Hello,

This is my first post. I have been trying to figure out how to download / convert coursesmart ebooks to pdf or jpg files.

I've succeeded but the process is rather convoluted. I think my next project is to create a firefox extension that performs the same tasks.

Anyway if anyone would like to help me with this please send me a PM.

Or if you want to know my current way of doing it then reply to this post. You can also reply to this post if you have any questions.

thanks,
killaken2000

nature20 09-21-2012 11:16 PM

Re: coursesmart

there are two version of coursesmart textbooks - online and offline. Due to privacy and piracy, this platform dont offer pdf version but nearly good version of ebook which is user friendly and people can read easily on pc,mobile,tablet without any extra software....

At online version, you can download one by one page or print to pdf for saving ebook. At offline version, i think there is restriction, so u can print to pdf but takes some time... Online version is in flash and html format & book page is divided in 3-4 parts of flash or image which constantly change...

It uses Ajax technology.

killaken2000 09-21-2012 11:55 PM

You are correct.

However here is what i did to download the online book to pdf.

I used the Save Image firefox extension to save all of the *.jpg images to a separate folder based on the hours minutes and seconds of the current time.

Next i set the extensions keypress to a Ctrl + y

Then i wrote a vc++ program to press Ctrl + y then right arrow stepping through that sequence for each page

Now you are left with a directory full of other directories that are full of jpgs

Then i used the console program imagemagick to convert all of the jpgs in sequence to one large image that is a full page. Then convert those full page jpgs to pdf.

next i used another console application but i forgot the name. I used this program to combine the pdfs to one large pdf.

so now i have a fully converted coursesmart book.

The reason for my post is that i would not only like to share this info but also collaborate one combining these steps into one program or plugin.

any cheers
-killaken

nature20 09-22-2012 12:50 AM

method is time taking but can be worked to make it easier and also possible to make extension for coursesmart with great features...

I think pdf file size will be much larger due to images but u can use ocr tool to convert in searchable pdf and help u to reduce size of file. There are many threads and videos for it.... also one cant remove coursesmart logo as well but it is not much issue as you are not doing any illegal things like sharing or piracy on net....

main purpose of this etextbook is to get at low price and read at convenience without any problem if internet access is not available....

sent pm.

nature20 10-15-2012 02:16 AM

finally... found easy method to save/rip in pdf with discount codes. :)

fawkes 01-16-2013 12:21 AM

Since I am in need of a book only available on coursesmart I hope someone may share how to get a book out of coursesmart?

desimd 01-23-2013 12:51 AM

Hi, could you please share how to extract the books with us?

edit: I managed to figure it out using firefox + save jpegs + python + imagemagick!

Jing 06-01-2014 02:29 AM

Hi,
Can you that for my books. I really don't know anything about following instructions. How to contact you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by killaken2000 (Post 54487)
You are correct.

However here is what i did to download the online book to pdf.

I used the Save Image firefox extension to save all of the *.jpg images to a separate folder based on the hours minutes and seconds of the current time.

Next i set the extensions keypress to a Ctrl + y

Then i wrote a vc++ program to press Ctrl + y then right arrow stepping through that sequence for each page

Now you are left with a directory full of other directories that are full of jpgs

Then i used the console program imagemagick to convert all of the jpgs in sequence to one large image that is a full page. Then convert those full page jpgs to pdf.

next i used another console application but i forgot the name. I used this program to combine the pdfs to one large pdf.

so now i have a fully converted coursesmart book.

The reason for my post is that i would not only like to share this info but also collaborate one combining these steps into one program or plugin.

any cheers
-killaken