Audio/video stream recording forums

Attention Visitor:
You may have to register or log in before you can post:
  • Click the register link to sign up.
  • Registered members please fill in the form below and click the "Log in" button.
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Audio/video stream recording forums > Media file management > Repairing, splitting and merging media files
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Post New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Stream Recorder

How to split MKV MPEG-4 AVC HDTV file (larger than the standard DVD size,i.e. 4,37GB)

Recently I got an .MKV HDTV file with MPEG-4 AVC (h264) video and two AC3 audio tracks. The bad thing was that the .MKV file was 10MB larger than a single layer DVD disc, i.e. it was 4,38 GB instead of 4,37GB I could fit into the DVD disc.

The problem was that many applications still didn't support files larger than 4,37. Also MPEG-4 AVC (h264) is not always supported even with a single audio track.

I didn't want to re-compress the video. Splitting MKV was the only option. Luckily the video had a dozen of useless seconds at the end.
  • I tried freeware avidemux (Windows) first. It was slow, didn't seem to support 2 audio tracks, besides I got several dialog windows asking me about indexing and other stuff that I didn't really want to see.
  • Then I tried freeware mkvtoolnix (Windows, Unix). It did the job perfectly!

mkvmerge GUI from mkvtoolnix has some disadvantages:
    • you can split after a given amount of time, but you can't split after several given amounts of time;
    • you can't preview the video in the mkvmerge, so you need to launch a player and remember the time when you need to split.

But it is fast. It support MPEG-4 AVC even with two audio tracks, so I recommend it!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
pctechsupport

Re: How to split MKV MPEG-4 AVC HDTV file (larger than the standard DVD size,i.e. 4,3

The origional post was written some time ago but I just stumbled on it. I downloaded and installed mkvmerge.

It does (maybe an upgrade since the origional post) allow you to enter multiple timecodes in a comma delimited field for multiple splits in a single pass.

Works for me.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Stream Recorder

Re: How to split MKV MPEG-4 AVC HDTV file (larger than the standard DVD size,i.e. 4,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctechsupport View Post
The origional post was written some time ago but I just stumbled on it. I downloaded and installed mkvmerge.

It does (maybe an upgrade since the origional post) allow you to enter multiple timecodes in a comma delimited field for multiple splits in a single pass.
Tested the latest version of mkvmerge and it really works. Thank you for posting an update!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvmerge guide
The Split section handles how the output file is split into several smaller files. If no splitting is selected then only one big file is generated. If splitting is activated then you can tell mkvmerge to start a new output file after either a specific amount of data has been written to the current file or after a specific timecode has been reached. The accepted formats are:
  • For the size: A number optionally followed by the letter 'K', 'M' or 'G' indicating kilobytes (1024 bytes), megabytes (1024 * 1024 bytes) or gigabytes (1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes). Examples: '700M' or '100000K'.
  • For the time: The format is either HH:MM:SS.nnn with up to nine digits for up to nanosecond precision or a number followed by the letter 's' indicating a number of seconds. Several timecodes can be entered separated by commas.

Please note that the timecodes refer to the unsplit output stream. Therefore entering '00:10:00,00:20:00' will result in three files of which the first two will be roughly ten minutes long. The third piece will contain the rest of the input stream. This is independent of the 'file linking' feature.
    Examples: '01:20:00' (split after 1 hour, 20 minutes) or '1800s' (split after 1800 seconds = 30 minutes).
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 AM

chandanbs is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I split a 12 gb mkv file using the latest version of mkvtoolnix into 3 parts. I was able to play all of them on my laptop. But, when i copied them onto 3 dvds and tried to play on my sony bdp s370, it didnt play them. Looks like there is some issue.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Stream Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandanbs View Post
Hi,
I split a 12 gb mkv file using the latest version of mkvtoolnix into 3 parts. I was able to play all of them on my laptop. But, when i copied them onto 3 dvds and tried to play on my sony bdp s370, it didnt play them. Looks like there is some issue.
I've looked through the Sony web-site and have found what formats and containers are supported by Dony BDP s370. Are you sure it supports MKV files with video codecs that you have?

To watch a 12GB MKV file on an HDTV, you can
1. Use network media players that support MKV HD video files
2. Connect your computer with HDTV over HDMI
3. If you TV is DLNA certified, use a DLNA server software on your computer to broadcast video over LAN.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

aboozar728 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandanbs View Post
Hi,

Replay Media Splitter is best for you
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 PM

rachelgreenhappy is on a distinguished road

i use a mkv video splitter called idealshare videogo to split mkv into chapters which has both Windows and Mac version.

it can split mkv video with or without re-encoding.

it can split all kinds of video files like MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, VOB, FLV and etc

it even can split audio mp3, wav, m4a, aac, flac and etc.

but it only divide video into chapters if the original video is divided in chapters or cue based.

recources:
http://www.idealshare.net/video-spli...c-windows.html
Old 11-24-2014, 05:16 AM

princecharming is on a distinguished road

To watch a 12GB MKV file on an HDTV, you can
1. Use network media players that support MKV HD video files
2. Connect your computer with HDTV over HDMI.
Reply Post New Thread
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,