View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Stream Recorder

Re: FLV with H264 Codecs: Convert FLV to MP4 without re-encoding (remux FLV)

Some previous posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream Recorder View Post
How to fix FLV files: Remux FLV (h.264) file into MP4 file
You can remux an FLV file into an MP4 file quickly without any transcoding.

Get freeware FLV Extract and freeware mp4box.

Using FLV Extract, drag the recorded/downloaded .FLV file to the FLV Extract window. It will demux into video and audio files, ending in .264 and .aac

Then, use mp4box to remux those files into an MP4:
Code:
mp4box.exe -add "filename.264:fps=23.976" -add "filename.aac" "filename_output.mp4"
Where "filename" is the name of the .264 and .aac files. The output .mp4 will play properly and have the correct time length.

Instead of mp4box you can use freeware GUI utility YAMB.

Please note that mp4box and YAMB may give different results

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixclaws View Post
I use a program called FLVExtract which extracts the video and audio streams directly from the downloaded FLV file.

Then I use YAMB with MP4Box to repack it into a MP4 file.

No "conversion" necessary and it's a lot faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyc View Post
On Linux most of the current players can play FLV files directly. But sometimes I run across machines with outdated software, then I move the data into some other container. MP4 or MKV usually work.

Code:
ffmpeg -i somefile.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy somefile.mkv
Takes just a few seconds because it transfers the raw data unchanged, only the file headers are modified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post
ffmpeg does work well for moving from a flv container to a mkv container, but in my experience it doesn't work well for moving to a mp4 container; at least if you want to be able to ff/rew or skip through the resulting output file with any of the many media players I've tried.